
Philippians 1:6....being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
As I grow older and closer to God, I find that there are verses in the Bible that come alive with meaning. Verses that I have known. Recited. Memorized. Having grown up going to a "christian school" (that is for another blog) we were required to memorize chapters at a time...and recite them in order to receive a passing grade. It would be safe to say that at some point in my life I have memorized over half the Bible. Of course most of it I couldn't shoot from the hip if you asked. But it is uncanny how when I, or someone I know, is in need of a slice of the word, it comes to me as if it were being served on a golden platter. I usually remember enough of it to find the reference. And it is what is needed at the time.
As I study the thoughts of God that are poured onto paper, I grow more and more amazed. In awe of His greatness. His compassion. His love. His patience. His mercy...just to name a few.
I am not a perfect person. Yes, it is true. I have to deal with people just as much as they deal with me...but I am really banking on the fact that my family loves me enough to put up with me. I do them. If I were going to cutt off everyone in my life that had it together, I would certainly be alone.
I find such a great comfort, especially of late, in the verse above. To grow in Christ....it feels so good, and so painful all at once. But it is what my soul craves. God knows this about me. He knows that my heart is willing, but that my flesh is weak. If I will follow Him, He will give me safe grounds on which to grow. May I always know my limitations, my weaknesses. May those around me not grow weary of me while I learn.
I don't know that I could count the times that I have had to go to my children and ask forgiveness. Forgiveness for harsh words. Forgiveness for showing a temper that ought not be shown. Forgiveness for wanting to lay a guilt trip when things don't go the way I want them too. My babies know that I am not perfect. They also know that I love the Lord. They know that God is helping me every day in my words and deeds. Perhaps one day I will be beyond the sillyness of these trivial things. That is a promise I am counting on.
Thankfully, one day, the work that God started in me.....23 years ago will be complete. Seems I have wasted so much time. Time I can never get back.
But I do have a choice. A choice for the future. How will I spend it? I am quite tired of wondering in the desert....God, please lead the way.
How about you? Will you let God contiue the work He has started?...or will you hang out in the marsh for a while?
Don't settle for ok when you can have the best.
Just think about that.