Faith. What does true faith look like? Have you ever seen it? It's real easy to "have faith" when we have tangible things to look at, like seeing where the money comes from to pay bills. "Dear Lord, I have faith that you are going to provide" as you are opening your check stub, or receiving your unemployment. But take that away and what do you have? A stack of expenses and a family to feed...and you have no idea how it's going to work out.
A friend and I were talking once about her situation. Recently divorced, two children, and lacking funds. In a panicked voice she said, "I don't know what I am going to do, I've got nothing". Her being a christian, I thought she would understand when I said in reply, "You've got God". She kinda jeered and said, "yeah, that's all I've got" as if that weren't enough. I was being very sincere when I made that statement. I knew that my God can and will provide for her. I've seen Him do it hundreds of time...beginning in Genesis. Just look at the Exodus from Egypt. I mean, God CAN provide. And He will if we let Him.
Easy words coming from a person standing with an unemployment check in her hand. Take that from her (small as it may be), and see what is left. Is it faith? Is it the same confident chick who very sincerely suggested that God can provide to those around her? Or is it one scared and humbled child who is learning to practice in real life what she already knows in her head.
I have screwed this up in the past....royally. When there was no money, ok God, I'm going to get a job...please bless me and send a great paying job my way. Then I jump in head first....after all, God would not have "brought" that job to me if He didn't want me to take it, right? Before it's all said and done I am up to my neck in a mess and stuck in the mud. Ok God, I am sorry. Please fix this. So He pulls me out and cleans me up. "Now, are you ready to do things my way?". "Yes Lord".
I begin to feel that panic. Lack of money...bills to pay. Ok God. I am not going to search for a way to "provide" for my family. I will let you do it this time.
I don't want to settle for mediocre when I can have the best.
The best doesn't always mean money. The best is most certainly being content in what ever situation I am in.
God will provide.
Just think about that.