
I have always been a stickler for the phrase "renewing your mind" as Paul teaches us. I have always believed and stated that renewing your mind daily is absolutely essential to growth in the life of a child of God. When we don't renew our minds, we take the "junk" from today into tomorrow. And then after just a few days we can become so cluttered with junk that we cannot see the path in front of us.
It almost seems that it would be easier in a sense to be confronted with an out right assault against our faith. You know, like the ruler of a country saying, "denounce Jesus or die!" type of thing. It would be a very clear cut decision for me. But the battle I fight takes place between my ears. The mind. Where soul and brain meet. It can make me it's prisoner....or I can take it captive.
I began thinking about phrases like: "I am your fortress, I am your strength, I am your everlasting help". I know God is sovereign, I know He is my rock. But it wasn't until just this morning as I was taking a shower that I was asking God why I have to struggle with myself so much. My thoughts. My intentions. You know what I am talking about. Those things that come calling when we are all alone. Thoughts and intentions that only we and God are privy to. Why is it so hard to just get my brain to cooperate on all levels at all times? So as I asked these questions and began to complain about how hard it is, God answered me. He said to me, "I am your fortress, I am your strength, I am your everlasting help"....You come to me. Run to my fortress each morning and hide there and I will fight the enemy for you today.
renewing my mind........
taking refuge.........
defeating the enemy....
sweet peace....
awesome.
Just think about that.