
I knew a guy who took a pastoring job at a church in my hometown. He was new to the area, nobody really knew a lot about him. He seemed energetic and eager to take his role of shepherding this church. Someone in the church decided they didn't like him. So they began to dig. Digging for information about this young pastor's life. Nine times out of ten, when your digging for something, your gonna find something...even if it is the most "saintly" person in the world. Needless to say, things were found from this man's past and drug out before the church as if it were parade day.
I don't know that I could do something like that intentionally with good conscience. I have my own skeletons in the closet. As a matter of fact, those skeletons have been haunting me a good bit for about a year now. Didn't matter how much I asked God to forgive me (as if He was not capable the first time), I couldn't shake these feelings of guilt. Guilt over my past.
Paul told us that "There is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". I echoed these words often, in hopes that my mind and emotions would catch on. But they never did.
There was a constant fear that someone I know (other than those who already knew) would find out what I used be. How I used to behave. The standards that this world put on me as I struggled to keep up with them. I was afraid that if anyone from my life now knew my past, I would be turned out and shunned once again.
One day while I was spending time with my Father, the spirit of the Lord just settled upon me. He seemed to say, "My child, you are Redeemed. There is no shame. Your past does not define who you are in Me on this day". I repeated the word REDEEMED several times as I felt God break the hold that guilt had on me.
If in giving my testimony I am shunned and disliked, I am ok with that because I am fully aware and resting in the fact that I am redeemed and the sins that once plagued me no longer define me.
That poor preacher left the church with a broken spirit and his head hung low. Shame on those who damage instead of uplift.
Lord Jesus Christ, please have mercy on me when I place unfair judgment on others. Open my eyes and give me a contrite heart I pray.
Think about that.
I don't know that I could do something like that intentionally with good conscience. I have my own skeletons in the closet. As a matter of fact, those skeletons have been haunting me a good bit for about a year now. Didn't matter how much I asked God to forgive me (as if He was not capable the first time), I couldn't shake these feelings of guilt. Guilt over my past.
Paul told us that "There is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". I echoed these words often, in hopes that my mind and emotions would catch on. But they never did.
There was a constant fear that someone I know (other than those who already knew) would find out what I used be. How I used to behave. The standards that this world put on me as I struggled to keep up with them. I was afraid that if anyone from my life now knew my past, I would be turned out and shunned once again.
One day while I was spending time with my Father, the spirit of the Lord just settled upon me. He seemed to say, "My child, you are Redeemed. There is no shame. Your past does not define who you are in Me on this day". I repeated the word REDEEMED several times as I felt God break the hold that guilt had on me.
If in giving my testimony I am shunned and disliked, I am ok with that because I am fully aware and resting in the fact that I am redeemed and the sins that once plagued me no longer define me.
That poor preacher left the church with a broken spirit and his head hung low. Shame on those who damage instead of uplift.
Lord Jesus Christ, please have mercy on me when I place unfair judgment on others. Open my eyes and give me a contrite heart I pray.
Think about that.