
As I have begun a new year of Bible study at BSF, it has not taken long to see exactly where I fall short. We are doing our study this year on the Prophet Isaiah and his ministry. We are only on chapter 1...yes, chapter 1 and I have already taken blows to the gut.
As our leader was giving her lecture, she began to list sins that are commonly committed everyday by everyone. That list looked something like this:
- Materialism
- Greed
- Gluttony
- Gossip
- Critical words or sarcasm
- Self righteousness
- Hot temper
- Self centeredness
- Over spending
- Tendency to be controlling
- Handing out guilt trips
- Jealousy
- Occasional dishonesty
- Vanity
- Vengeance
- In our relationships
- Academically
- In our children
- Service to community
- Service to our church
Sound familiar? A bad temper runs in my family, it's not vanity...I just want to look "presentable" (for who?), I'm not jealous....I just wish I could be more like that, I'm not handing out guilt trips...it's just how I feel. I could go on and on. As I began to check off the list some of my own short comings, I realized that I'm not good at all. AT ALL. How can I be a Christian, and have all of these "everyday personality mishaps" in my life.
The fact is, when we have been a certain way for so long, we no longer see it. It does become part of us. Part of our personality, a personality that makes God sad. I can hear Him now, "It doesn't have to be this way you know. I can take care of that for you if you will just acknowledge it and hand it over".
I tell my kids all the time, "you won't be punished if you will just follow the rules". Sometimes it seems to fall on deaf ears, I wonder who they get that from..??!!
When the Holy Spirit has enough compassion for us to show us these errors, we desperately need to take heed and be sorrowful about it in our hearts. It should grieve us to know that these wicked ways dwell in us. Then we should ask forgiveness and be cleansed. God doesn't want to beat us down. We are His children. He has brought us out so the he can bless us and love us. And so we can do the same in return.
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting I pray. (Psalm 139:23 & 24)
Amen
Just think about that.