Thoughts on life from a child of
God....


Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cheerful Giver???


We have heard the verse hundreds of times...and we have listened to it quoted even more. "God loves a cheerful giver". I can remember as a young child knowing this truth in my head...or I should say memorized, but it was hollow words to me. I didn't have a clue what was meant by it or how in the world you were supposed to just be happy or cheerful about giving your money or stuff away. As I grew older my understanding of it didn't change much. I knew that I was supposed to give happily....but I just couldn't conjure up feelings with in me that were happy about it. Then a funny thing happened. As I began to draw closer to God, to meditate on Him and His Word...the feelings began to appear. I couldn't believe it. To me that made God that much more awesome. It was nothing about me that made me happy to give or help....but it was the heart of God that was joyful within me.

11 or so years ago, my mom called me. She said that my dad had met a man who was passing thru town and he had nothing. She had called me, very reluctantly, and asked if my husband had any clothes that he would be willing to give to this man. It just so happened that we had a closet full of clothes that my husband never wore...I had the most fun going thru that stuff and packing it up to give it away. I had an indescribable joy from it! When it was all said and done my mom was telling me that she was reluctant about asking us to do this because she didn't want to intrude or inconvenience us. As soon as those thoughts came to her mind the Lord intervened and said, "do not deprive her of the opportunity to give". OOhhhhhh.....wait a minute. You mean giving...cheerfully...is just as much for me as it is for the other person?! ABSOLUTELY!!

As we grow in Christ, we begin to copy His character...and God gives to us cheerfully. Just like a parent giving his child a treasured toy. It makes Him as happy to give it as it makes us to get it.


Giving is a gift. A gift for others...a gift for you. Don't miss out on it.


Just think about that.